Updated: Jun 17
1/2 cup rolled oats
1 cup of water or milk of choice (oat milk, any nut milk, regular milk)
1 tbsp butter or coconut oil
1/2 tsp cinnamon Pinch of salt
1 tbsp brown sugar or honey
1/4 cup seasonal fruit (ex. berries, pomegranate, peaches, or apples)
1 tbsp nuts or seeds (optional)
1. Place butter or oil in a pot and turn the stove on medium heat.
2. Melt the butter until it starts to bubble (for coconut oil, heat for 1 min) and then add oats.
3. Mixed until the oats have soaked up the butter/oil.
4. Add water or milk of choice.
5. Add cinnamon and a pinch of salt.
6. Bring to a boil then turn to medium-low heat.
7. Stir occasionally. Wait for desired consistency (about 10 minutes).
8. Add sugar or honey. Stir until incorporated.
9. Place oatmeal in a bowl and then add toppings. For more texture, add nuts/seeds.
This is my go-to breakfast before I exercise! It gives me the fuel for my morning workouts and has never upset my stomach. My favorite part about this recipe is that it can be adjusted and there are choices you have while making it. For example, it can be made vegan or if you're looking for a little bit of a lower calorie breakfast, use water instead of milk and half the butter or oil you add. I also recommend using fruits that are in season so that it's extra delicious.
Try it out and let me know what you think or if you have any questions!